First brisket knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First brisket knife

I've been wanting to make a brisket knife for a while, so when a customer asked for one, I figured I'd make a few

Project is currently a WIP.

Steel: Nitro V, 3mm
    Bolsters: 416 Stainless
    Handle: Spalted Oak
    Length: Yes :shrug:

When it came to design, I wanted a blade that would push the meat to the side rather than have it suction to the blade. So, I chose a hollow grind. Have I done one before? No. Were there issues? Yes; yes there were.

Setting in the bevel pre heat treat

After heat treat, I finished off the bevel in the first blade which burned through when doing the plunge grind (right at the end of the process). I was using a "jig" (and I use the term very loosely) but the jig was too tall, making maneuvering the blade difficult (which resulted in the burnt steel). And so I made this:

If it looks bad but it works, then I call it good
    The Jarrah is small enough (in height) that I can flex the blade and choose where I put pressure. The result was this:

I would have loved for the hollow grind to go all the way to the top, but my wheel is too small. That being said, I'm happy with the result.

Customer wanted spalted oak for the handle

The handle roughed in.

Here's where I'm currently at with the knife. Epoxy on the bolsters is currently drying.
    From there I'm going to "mushroom" the bolsters towards the blade with my cheap knock-off GRS tool. I've done a couple of tests and I can get a fairly good result without too many issues.
    Then it's on to sharpening and it's good to go!

● Always outnumbered, never outgunned ●

Nicely done, handle and bolster combo looks sh!thot, best tip for hollow grinding is, practice practice practice,
    I've been doing it for bloody ages, and I still grab scrap to practice on, before I commit to good steel

p.s. never realised I needed a Brisket knife until now
    Last edited by Tarrabah; 10-06-2021, 15:59.

Comment

Thanks mate. You're not wrong about the practicing. I can see myself turning a lot of steel to dust trying to get this style of grind right!

Comment

Originally posted by Sentry View Post
        Thanks mate. You're not wrong about the practicing. I can see myself turning a lot of steel to dust trying to get this style of grind right!
        While Gameco are having a sale, why not grab some cheap high carb/spring steel, to practice grinding on, I stocked up on 5160 years ago, and am working through that for practicing on.

I find ordinary mild steel, grinds completely differently to blade steel (slippery against the belt), and does my practice more harm than good

Comment

Good looking knife! Is that an 8 inch wheel you’re using for the hollow grind?

Comment

Originally posted by IanF View Post
            Good looking knife! Is that an 8 inch wheel you’re using for the hollow grind?
            I thinks so. Have had it for a while but never used it.

Comment

Looking good mate !!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Sinclair View Post
                Looking good mate !!
                Thanks mate. Should be finished today so will post up the final pics

Comment

Knife is finished and sharp. "Does it shave hair" is the common question and the answer with this blade is: it was sharp enough to shave a single layer of skin off. Surgical sharp?
                  Overall I'm happy with the result. There were a couple of things I think I could have done better, but being the first hollow grind, I'm okay with how it looks. Being such a long blade, it was difficult to sharpen as well; something I need to work on.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

First time using the graver to mushroom the bolsters to the blade. It turned out pretty good and I know what I need to do next time to get it perfect

Comment

Well done

In the last pic, it looks as though the scale on the right, doesn't quite fit?, when that sort of thing happens, rather than spit the dummy, and curl up in your favourite closet (it works for me)

you can recover it, by trimming the left scale to match, and fitting in a liner, probably look better, if you do it at the front as well, then tell everyone, that's what you intended all along.

How are you putting the initial edge on them?.

And, where did you get your own Mosaic button, likewise the cool COA??

Comment

Working...
                    X