Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Bowies walk into a bar

G'day,

Some of you might remember this? https://www.australianbladeforums.in...-recurve-bowie (last 2 lines in post #8)

I wanted to give it a final clean up grind a couple of weeks ago, and, I rooted it, tried switching to a 12'' wheel, and lifting the grind to get the booboo out,

and continued to make the same stuff up, so before I ground it to dust, I cut out a second blank,

and rooted that in the same way, I had enough Nitro-V to cut a third blank out,

not wanting to waste a third, I held off grinding it until I could get my grinding mojo back, the stuff up was more mental than procedural

well, today I put my big boy pants on, and managed to pull a decent grind out of my bum https://i.imgur.com/fEKkXnm.mp4

This was the original https://i.imgur.com/kj0ZlIh.mp4

this was the second https://i.imgur.com/6GwI1Br.mp4

group shot

There's enough meat left on both the stuff ups, that I can possibly salvage them, I'll raise the grinds with the 12'' wheel, and see how it goes, may also try flat grinding to near full height??.

The problem, was because the original plan for the grind, was to start with a slight curve at the plunge, the file guide wasn't allowing me to get in the way I planned, and after realising I'd stuffed a nicely ground blank, I kinda' panicked,

and that manifested into paranoia on the second blank, I knew when I started it, I didn't have my sh!t together, but figured, experience and muscle memory would shine through,

yeah, good one d!ckhead, I needed to get my head together, it's not a difficult grind, but... when I lose my sh!t, it takes some rearranging of various brain cells to get my mojo back

Anyway, just thought I'd confess my sins, you might get a chuckle out of it, I'm still sh!tty at the wasted belts and steel
    Last edited by Tarrabah; 23-10-2021, 18:58.

Getting there mate πŸ‘

Comment

I think we have all been there at some stage mate and good job for persevering, she going to be a sweet looking knife when she's done

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Sinclair View Post
        I think we have all been there at some stage mate and good job for persevering, she going to be a sweet looking knife when she's done
        It's certainly not the first blank, or blanks, I've rooted, but I think it's the most acreage of decent steel in one, or two goes.

Future archeologists will have a ball trying to work out wtf was going on, when they excavate under my shed floor

Comment

I won't start another confessional thread, I'll bury my shame here, and then get the thread deleted after I've spilled my guts all proper like

I was milling the guard slot, through this 12mm chunk of 6Al4V yesterday, got everything set up beautifully, machined both edges parallel, the digital readout was zeroed, the 6mm 2 flute carbide slot drill ramped down perfectly,

but, I either buggered the x-axis calculations, or got a little sloppy with shutting the power feed off in time, it's a pube too long for the damn tang

because Ti don't grow on trees, I'll end up making a blade to fit the slot
          Last edited by Tarrabah; 16-11-2021, 18:37.

Comment

Epoxy fixes everything

Comment

Watching forged in fire at the moment, JUST WELD IT, she'll be right. They do it all the time on the show.

Comment

Yeah nah, no need now, I spent the afternoon milling, filing, hammering and swearing, should be an easy fit up tomorrow, just needs some time with the needle files

p.s. I worked out where I stuffed up yesterday, I subtracted 3mm (half the 6mm endmill) off yesterdays total cut, the problem I realised today, was that I didn't subtract the 3mm from the other end of the cut, all good now....

Last edited by Tarrabah; 17-11-2021, 17:48.

Comment

Getting there mate πŸ‘
                  calculator next time
                  seriously though nothing wrong with a bit of trail & error, keep up the good work.

Comment

I need a new drinkin' knife, so I'm going to HT the second bowie I buggered up, it has the most even grinds, I don't have any LN2 yet, this thing will get the snot beaten out of it, plus loads of drunk fondling until it's in pieces

ground up a handle out of a block of OD G10, this isn't my preferred handle style, but it is comfortable, I had to work within the constraints of the block, and tang, the top of the tang showing, will get ground off tomorrow

as well as grinding the top of the tang, I got carried away while I was shaping the handle, and buggered the front, I'll grind it back, and add some black G10, so the ricasso beginning, is fit up better

Comment

I'm liking it, handle looks like it needs some Texturing or fluting, I'm sure you play around with it for awhike till you are happy.

Comment

Thanks, Mitch

the handle still needs a final hand rub, will do that after I graft on some black G10, it should look okay once it's done, not going to too much more to it, the blade is destined for destructive testing

Comment

Originally posted by Tarrabah View Post
                          Thanks, Mitch

the handle still needs a final hand rub, will do that after I graft on some black G10, it should look okay once it's done, not going to too much more to it, the blade is destined for destructive testing

Better pics of the handle. Palm swell looks right for a comfortable gripπŸ‘

Comment

Just needs a sheath and sharpen

because it's so thin at the edge, it'll be a light sabre, so I'm not sharpening it until it's got somewhere to stay safely

Blade is just over 12'' from the front of the guard to the tip

handle is around 120mm.

Because I hadn't drilled the handle before HT, I drilled 10mm holes, and hammered in some brass plugs, to make drilling easier after the blade was hardened/tempered

Comment

The ugly bastard has been sheathed and sharpened, it's great fun trimming the shrubbery with it

Comment

Working...
                              X