X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fat Kwaiken

G'day,

Cut out the first Fat Kwak yesterday, this one is in 1/4'' Nitro-V

Today's efforts, drilled a couple of holes, thinking of milling between the two bigger holes, didn't realise until I put the calipers on the steel, it's 6.8mm thick atm

slapped it upside the 10'' wheel, I probably should've sorted the tang out first, but I felt like grinding, so...

Thanks for looking, as always, comments, questions, advice, abuse and general merriment, are most welcome,

Scott.

You could also make it an integral, soften the edges or 45 them and then add thinner scales.

Lots of options, its looking great
    http://mefflinknives.com

Add me on Facebook for all of the latest updates on my work and available knives

https://www.facebook.com/mefflinknives

Comment

Thanks, Pap's

thinner scales is a good call, there's a fair bit of chunk to this, a coke bottle profile might make it too chunkafied

Comment

Looking great Scott and I also think thinline scales might be a good way to go.
        Really like the traditional kwaiken lines and Nitro V is an excellent s/steel choice.
        Last edited by rolls; 03-11-2021, 17:18.

Comment

Or you could mill out the whole handle and do a timber or acrylic inset/inlay
          Last edited by pap11y; 03-11-2021, 17:39.
          http://mefflinknives.com

Add me on Facebook for all of the latest updates on my work and available knives

https://www.facebook.com/mefflinknives

Comment

Or possibly even the full Japanese cord wrap over rayskin?
            Looking forward to seeing the end product.
            k.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rolls View Post
              Looking great Scott and I also think thinline scales might be a good way to go.
              Really like the traditional kwaiken lines and Nitro V is an excellent s/steel choice.
              Thanks, Roley

Originally posted by pap11y View Post
              Or you could mill out the whole handle and do a timber or acrylic inset/inlay
              Yeah nah, only ever done one acrylic handle, and I made the owner of the knife, do the hand finish on it,

I hammer tested it along with G10, the G10 shot off and hit the owner, the acrylic shattered

Originally posted by rolls View Post
              Or possibly even the full Japanese cord wrap over rayskin?
              Looking forward to seeing the end product.
              k.jpg
              That's not a bad idea, thanks mate

Comment

I remember when Nitro V was first released NJSB claimed it could be heat treated to a high degree of hardness and found this online:
                Aldo Bruno, the New Jersey Steel Baron who designed this alloy said, “We’ve been following the same heat treat as AEB-L. We’re getting it to 64/65 Rc after a plate quench from 1980 [degrees] and dry ice. We leave it at 1980 for 5 minutes before quench. The first blade we did we left in for 20 minutes at temperature by mistake (too much [email protected]!$#ting!) and we ended up with 56 Rc before cryo, which kind of freaked us out. We threw it in the ice for about a minute and it shot up to 63+ Rc. We then proceeded to beat the crap out of it for 2 days. I think you guys are going to be pretty happy with what we ended up with.
                It also mirror polishes up there with the very best imo.
                Last edited by rolls; 03-11-2021, 18:31.

Comment

Dodgy set up, but it worked

the fixed jaw of the vice, acts as the straight edge to mill the "top", once that was done, I flipped it over, so the bottom edge, was against the fixed jaw, and milled it parallel to the jaw

flat ground it, then took the flats to 150gt Norax( same as the bevels), it's now down to around 6.2mm thick, I won't bother taking any higher yet, there's still plenty of time to scratch the crap out of it

Comment

Getting thete mate, would also look good with a washed finish

Comment

Thanks, Mitch

Finish will be determined after HT, I prefer satin finishes, Nitro apparently takes a good polish, so I'll probably try that first, then more than likely tumble it to hide the crappy polish

Comment

A bar of 4.2mm Nitro-V arrived this morning, this feels much better than the first behemoth

thinking about modifying the design slightly, a bit of curve on the lower section of the handle, any thoughts on that?

Comment

A bit curve on the handle👍

Comment

Ground a slight curve into the Fat Kwak handle, also cut out a Svelte Kwak, it's a slimmed down version of fatty

Comment

My layout tools, starring, the Hermaphrodite calipers

Fatty and the Svelte Kwak, are ready for grinding

Comment

Working...
                              X