Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi ABF

Hi all

Newbie here to the intricate world of knives and all their associated goodies. Currently here doing some research one what to purchase for my first knife, so go easy on a novice.

Cheers

G'day twenty, research is a good start for your first knife purchase, ........that leads to research on your second knife purchase,..........that leads to research on your third knife purchase...............................

Comment

Welcome. Careful mate, it's addictive.

I started out a few years ago just wanting a good knife with which to go camping/hiking. Many blades and many, many dollars later, I haven't even scratched the surface.
      I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman: Homer J Simpson.

Comment

Welcome to ABF twenty

There are lots of great knives but I'll be a devil's advocate and suggest an Opinel #8 in carbon steel. This will educate you into a knife's primary function - slicing things. It will teach you more about the useful aspects of a knife than just about any other blade I know, and being a folder you can carry it in a pocket or pack with no hassles.

Why a carbon steel Opinel? You will find the thin blade and convex edge very easy to keep ultrasharp using anything from a kitchen steel to a 2000 grit Japanese waterstone. This is a very forgiving blade. yes it will discolour, and if you don't look after it - rust.

As you progress down the slippery road of knife addiction you will add other blades to your inventory, but I don't think you will ever lose your appreciation of the effectively simple Opinel

You should be able to get an Opinel #8 for $15-25
        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Comment

Watch out twenty, the Opinels come with a spotty bandana.
          Welcome to the forum.
          I have a number 8 in stainless, It's a very useful knife.

Comment

Welcome twenty! We look forward to your company!

If your doing research and learning a bit about knives, check out one or all of the articles on "What makes a good knife? (Here: http://www.knives2survive.com.au/g/1...ood-knife.html). It may help you out who knows You will learn a LOT here from these master cutlery lovers on ABF.

Enjoy! Knives are the oldest and greatest tool known to man I reckon!
            "Collecting is the sort of thing that creeps up on you..." - Paul Mellon

Comment

Welcome..I have owned dozens of knives priced at over $500 each but something is drawing me to that opinel. Having said that, the only knife I really ever use is my trusty buck 110, and perhaps an opinel if I pick one up.

Comment

You've come to the right place twenty!

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

As has been suggested, an Opinel, or three, is a great, and cheap, place to start. Stick around, read and learn. Lots of great info here.
                  Quantum physics is a bit of a passion of mine. It's extraordinary. There's a branch of mathematics that is based on lunacy, and that's wonderful.

- Bob Hoskins -

[email protected]

Associate member: Australian Knifemakers Guild

Comment

Gidday Twenty, welcome to the forum.
                    wave man AKA Dean
                    my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22..._as=subscriber
                    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It's the way I was born. I am a Hunter a Bone Collector."
                    "A gun, like any source of power is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it"

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate! You've come to the right place to learn, research and chat. Wish this place existed when I was buying my first knife (but I don't think we had internet yet LOL!).

PS Don't buy an Opinel, buy a Spydie! And then another, and another and another...
                      Australian Knife Magazine
                      Editor

Comment

Originally posted by KnifeKnut View Post
                        Welcome to the forum mate! You've come to the right place to learn, research and chat. Wish this place existed when I was buying my first knife (but I don't think we had internet yet LOL!).

PS Don't buy an Opinel, buy a Spydie! And then another, and another and another...

Hah, check out the exciting Opinel action in this pic.

Quantum physics is a bit of a passion of mine. It's extraordinary. There's a branch of mathematics that is based on lunacy, and that's wonderful.

- Bob Hoskins -

[email protected]

Associate member: Australian Knifemakers Guild

Comment

OK, if you're going to be eating cheese, olives and drinking red wine while admiring crappy art - get an Opinel.
                          If you're going to be working and having a VB, get a Spydie
                          Australian Knife Magazine
                          Editor

Comment

Working...
                          X