Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, another newbie here.

G'day all

I'll start off by saying I've been collecting knives (mostly pocket) for about 4 years now, but never knew this website existed until I somewhat stumbled into it
    not too long ago, *laughs* looking for knives to buy actually.... I've decided after looking in the exchange section this could be a financially dangerous website.
    I'm around Newcastle NSW.

Thanks for reading

Gidday Knifedave81 , welcome to the forum.
    wave man AKA Dean
    my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22..._as=subscriber
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It's the way I was born. I am a Hunter a Bone Collector."
    "A gun, like any source of power is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it"

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate! I already feel sorry for your wallet
      Australian Knife Magazine
      Editor

Comment

Welcome along
        Member Australian Knife Makers Guild
        Brook Knives Australia on Facebook

Comment

Welcome aboard mate!

Comment

Welcome mate! The common thing about us humans is that the older we get, the more expensive our toys get. Why fight it?
            "Collecting is the sort of thing that creeps up on you..." - Paul Mellon

Comment

And I wish you a warm welcome as well.

Yes it can be hard on the wallet - but you can also pick up some really great knives without spending too much. A couple of brands to look out for are: Mora of Sweden & Opinel. These may be plain jane but perform way outside of their price bracket. Ones to avoid (in general) are the cheaply made Chinese copies of quality USA brands such as: Benchmade; ZT; Emerson etc. I hesitate to say all Chinese made knives should be avoided because there are some great ones out there as well - such as those made by Paul Chen (CAS Hanwei).
              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Comment

Hi there and welcome Knifedave81 ,
                There's so many creative people here (I'm not one of them) that you can't help but be inspired to try and emulate some of their blades.
                Budget forecasts however, indicate that I'll be living on baked beans for the next six months to achieve what I want !!
                Fortunately, I LOVE baked beans and love the idea of crafting some blades for myself....Debt is good !

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming replies , I reckon I will enjoy it here.

knives2Survive.. lol that was great, I like that comment , my wife on the other hand probably wouldn't appreciate it quite as much, fortunately she's pretty understanding.

Antonio_Luiz.. Thank you for the advice . I fully agree with you, Opinel's are great knives and excellent value. I have a No 6, 9 and 12 all in carbon steel and getting some very nice patina's. I use the 9 and 12 as utility knives and they work great at cutting through carpet. As for china, I've encountered one that had an incredibly dodgy liner lock and it was a knock off, The other couple are from reputable brands and have been quite good.

sirupate, I think it would be neat to be able to forge a blade, I wouldn't have clue where to start... its something I've thought about a few times now and my wife is happy for me to try. Good luck, in the meantime enjoy the beans at least they're healthy.... go great with eggs and sausages too.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifedave81 View Post
                    I think it would be neat to be able to forge a blade, I wouldn't have clue where to start... its something I've thought about a few times now and my wife is happy for me to try.............
                    Keith Fludder used to run classes - not sure if he still does. There's a lot more to forging blades than people realise because most steels are not formulated specifically for knife making - and those that are seem to be geared towards stock removal
                    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Comment

Working...
                    X