Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, another newbie - from Victoria.

Hi there all.

Ok, some of you will know me from other forums such as BushcraftOz, etc but for those that dont;

Name is Bill & I'm from werribee in Victoria.
    Have been involved in outdoors pastimes all my life.
    Interests include general bushcraft, hunting, game fishing, & breeder/trialing/hunting with my gundogs (Epagneusl Bretons, or Brittany Spaniels to those that don't know em by their French name).
    Obvioulsy Hunting + Victoria = Sambar ;-) (as most of you will know).

Anyway, I've always had an interest in knives, obviously from a users perspective.
    Then about, oh 10 years ago I 'spose, I treated myself to a custom knife by paying Wally Bidgood a visit.
    The knife I bought from him is still my favourite.
    I also had the good fortune to personally call neil Charity a very good friend, although my friendship with Neil actually came through the gundogs scene. I trialed with/against Neil for nearly 10 years before I ever knew he was involved in the knifemaking biz.
    Unfortunately Neil was quite ill by the time I found out & I was never able to obtain one of his beautiful folders, even though I have seen quite a few over the years. I would one day dearly love to get hold of one as a keepsake of a close, personal friend.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get more inbto knife making during redent years & over the last few years I've started doing some minor (failry basic) resto work on old knives bought for the purpose.
    Recently (the week end just passed) I attended a basic knife makers course run by Adam Parker (whom I had also met & chatted with quite a bit at a show a few years back - where he first offered to assist me).
    Had a ball & learned heaps & am now keeneer than ever to get started.
    I'm fortunate to have a best mate that owns his own engineering workshop, so I'll be popping over on wed's arvo to chat with him about making a belt grinder (never know what some of these blokes have floating about out back of their workshops)

So, at this stage I'm still in the 'setting up' phase of things.
    I've got a pretty fair knowledge of mechanicals, & a very sound knowledge of machinery use (my dad taught wood machinery for nearly 40 years - also a handy contact ;-) ) being a very highly qualitifed & experienced mechanic by profession myself (have done a fair bit of metal work, including welding, cutting, heat treating in other areas, etc).

So, there y'have it. Mechanic by profession, although off the tools & in admin' now, very keen hunter/fisherman/BC-er, & budding future (I hope) knifemaker.

Will be paying Adam another visit in the not-too-distant future to further kmy knowledge & am very keenly looking forward to producing a few blades of my own from start to finish.

Oh, also been doin a fair bit o'letherwork for quite a while also.

Glad to be on board & look foirward to conversin with y'all.

Bill.
    PS, please 'scuse the poor typin from time to time - mechanics fingers, not typist's.

Welcome aboard mate
    Stewart Townsend
    Australian Knifemakers Guild

https://www.facebook.com/townsendcustomknives

The plural of knife is knives.
    One knife.
    Two knives.
    The plural possessive is knives'.

Comment

Welcome Bill

I am sure that you will fit in real well here.

Lots of common interests.

You will find the natives friendly and very helpful for newbies. There are some highly skilled makers in this forum who are very generous with their assistance.

Regards Dutchy
      Collector

Australian Military Knives

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
      Plato (427-347 BC)

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
      Napoleon Bonaparte

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."
      Lord Acton (1834–1902)

[email protected]

Comment

Welcome aboard stranger lol

Comment

Thanks fellas.

Thought I might come across a few of you mob in here ;-)

By the wat Stewart.

Mailed the paratropper away to you early last week & it turned up back on my door step Friday arvo.
          No note from Aust' post or anything to indicate why it wasn't delivered.
          Dunno what happened there.
          I'll havta pop into Aust' post to find out wot happened & get it on it's way buck up to you ASAP.
          Sorry 'bout that mate.

Bill.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
            Quantum physics is a bit of a passion of mine. It's extraordinary. There's a branch of mathematics that is based on lunacy, and that's wonderful.

- Bob Hoskins -

[email protected]

Associate member: Australian Knifemakers Guild

Comment

Jesus. Just read through my initial post - that typing really is a shocker.
              Gotta remember to use the spel cheka mour.
              Sorry guys & gals.

Bill.

Comment

welcome Bill-Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartnmax View Post
                  Jesus. Just read through my initial post - that typing really is a shocker.
                  Gotta remember to use the spel cheka mour.
                  Sorry guys & gals.

Bill.
                  Yair gotta wotch dem peepl that dont spel good

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
                  Quantum physics is a bit of a passion of mine. It's extraordinary. There's a branch of mathematics that is based on lunacy, and that's wonderful.

- Bob Hoskins -

[email protected]

Associate member: Australian Knifemakers Guild

Comment

Gidday Bill, welcome to the forum.
                    wave man AKA Dean
                    my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC22..._as=subscriber
                    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It's the way I was born. I am a Hunter a Bone Collector."
                    "A gun, like any source of power is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it"

Comment

Welcome to the Forum mate.
                      Yur sspelin wil git moor gooderer as ya go aloong.

Paul.
                      God sat back and said,Pauls,what is the meaning of life bloke?

Comment

I don't know about your spelling sir, but as a budding knife making want to be myself, I wish I could lay claim to a shadow of the prospective skills and resources that you bring to your new hobby. I have no doubt you will be a rich resource to this forum in short order. From one newbie to another, welcome.

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                        X