X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big hello from Melbourne.

Hello all,

dropbear/ben/benny here.

A little bit about myself: I'm halfway through a Bachelor of Engineering, majoring in Product Design. I'm 21, and have been fascinated by knives ever since I got my first one on a family holiday when I was about 7 years old. I still have it sitting in my drawer, along with my second that we got the next year. Originally from the UK, but moved here in 2004 and loved it so much I went straight for my citizenship as soon as possible in 2006.

I have always wanted to make knives, I have filled my sketch books for uni with countless blade shapes and handle contours, but I'd always put it down as something not achievable, a pipe dream if you will. Then I decided that if it's the one thing in my life that I actually REALLY want to do, then I better get started and make up for lost time.

I have in the past 6 months started getting seriously into the concept of knife making. I knocked out my first about a month ago, a drop-point fixed blade constructed out of O1 tool steel with Jarrah handle scales, I was originally very proud. Then I started working on my second, and then I realized just how much there was that I'd learned through making my first. I finished draw filing and flat sanding the blade, ready for heat treatment at my home "forge" when I had an accident with a knife, and cutting into my thumb to the bone and severing a nerve. I had to have microscopic surgery, and won't be able to get back into the workshop for a couple of months at least because I can't put any pressure on my thumb. I was super depressed when I got out of surgery because I had just started getting some serious plans for making a run of 10 friction folders to prove that I could get consistent results.

This brings me to how I found this place. I'd come across the odd thread here with googling questions on folding knives. I decided to make the most of my time at home by eBaying random EDC gear and absorbing as much knowledge as I could so I could spring back to action as soon as I got the go from the occupational therapist. I decided that my business name as a knife maker would be Drop Bear Customs, hence the user name, and got some designs ready for when I can get back out there. Some of my research led me here, and after reading several threads it dawned on me just how great this place is. An absolute well of knowledge, full of people that I feel are the perfect ambassadors for "knife people". Level headed, fun and full of desire to help.

So, thanks for being here during a rough spot even if you didn't know you were. I hope one day to be able to pay back the wisdom I am borrowing from it for now.

Sorry for the life story,
    See you out there.

dropbear.

P.s Special thanks to AussieBosun for an awesome first transaction on the exchange.
    | Drop Bear Customs - Custom knives and tools. | [email protected] | Instagram: @dropbearcustoms |

Welcome aboard
    Stewart Townsend
    Australian Knifemakers Guild

https://www.facebook.com/townsendcustomknives

The plural of knife is knives.
    One knife.
    Two knives.
    The plural possessive is knives'.

Comment

Welcome mate, hope your thumb is ok

Comment

Welcome!!

Well G'day Dropbear.

When I saw that callsign I thought, "this guy is definitely an Aussie". I mean only Aussies know about that dangerous tree living bush creature the "Drop Bear", scourge of the forest! Now I find out your a "to and from"!! All can say is that you have assimilated well. Good luck to you.

Hope your fumb gets better real quick.

Looking forward to seeing your work in the Gallery and following your progress as you develop your skills.

And you are so right, this is a great community and I never cease to be amazed at the generosity of the members when it comes to helping others out.

Dutchy
        Collector

Australian Military Knives

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
        Plato (427-347 BC)

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
        Napoleon Bonaparte

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."
        Lord Acton (1834–1902)

[email protected]

Comment

Welcome to ABF Ben I hope your thumb is doing better as well and i look forward to seeing your future work

Comment

Gday Dropbear, hope your back in the workshop soon. In the meantime take a few photos to post , and absorb everything the ABF has to offer .

P.S. I haven't heard of any Dropbears being around for a long time, dangerous creatures , falling at will on unsuspecting young women.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy357 View Post
              When I saw that callsign I thought, "this guy is definitely an Aussie". I mean only Aussies know about that dangerous tree living bush creature the "Drop Bear", scourge of the forest!
              Funny enough, I believed that drop bears were real until about 3 years ago. I was the absolute butt of all jokes on a camping trip when everybody found out. I thought I might be able to live it down one day, but if it's getting etched into my blades, I might have shot myself in the foot (Or cut myself in the thumb?) there.

Looking forward to seeing your work in the Gallery and following your progress as you develop your skills.
              I'll pop a post to my first on the Gallery in a few minutes, I've got a horrible exam tomorrow so this will help with the procrastination front.

Welcome to ABF Ben I hope your thumb is doing better as well and i look forward to seeing your future work
              Thanks Alicia, with any luck it will only be a couple of months!
              | Drop Bear Customs - Custom knives and tools. | [email protected] | Instagram: @dropbearcustoms |

Comment

welcome to ABF mate , keep up the good work after the thumb heals

Comment

Welcome aboard mate. Sorry to hear about your thumb, but looking forward to seeing your designs.

...and good luck with the exam!
                  Last edited by KnifeKnut; 18-06-2013, 00:26.
                  Australian Knife Magazine
                  Editor

Comment

You got a logo for dropbear? Cause all I imagine with that name is a koala falling out of a tree!! Ha! I like that name for some reason.

Welcome mate, hope your better soon, would like to see shots of those friction folders when you get back into it.

Comment

Welcome to ABF Ben. Nice intro mate.

Comment

Welcome mate!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMan View Post
                          You got a logo for dropbear? Cause all I imagine with that name is a koala falling out of a tree!! ...
                          Nah, it's a mutant Koala X Fruit Bat. Quite a fierce creature!
                          I took this shot just the other day bushwalking in the Dandenongs:

Australian Knife Magazine
                          Editor

Comment

Hey Benny, KK found your logo ^^^ .... Etch that on a blade, yanks will think it's a bearhawk! Ha!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate!
                              Gameco's Knifemaking and Blacksmithing supplies has a new Web Store!
                              www.artisansupplies.com.au
                              Stay Sharp!

Comment

Working...
                              X