Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LC76 (Ironbark Knives)

Hey everyone new member here.
    I'm LC76 (Ironbark Knives) and I wanted to share with you my beginners journey into knife making.

So my first attempt is from a leaf spring I had in the shed and after some research I decided to treat it like 5160.
    It was annealed before filing then heated to just past magnetic three times before quenching in some out of date olive oil.
    Then tempered in the oven for two 2hr cycles at 200 deg.
    The wood handle scales are just some wood scavenged from an old dining table leg.
    I'm on a disability pension so I have to make do with whatever I can find.
    Ironbark Knives https://imgur.com/a/Kp4pv

Looks bloody good to me for a first knife mate, keep it up!
    "You may leave this life at any moment: have this possibility in your mind in all that you do or say or think." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations: Book Two.

Comment

That is an awesome first attempt. You should be proud.
      Sweet looking smithing set up too.

Comment

Just worked out how to embed an image
        Hope it's not too big

Comment

Thanks for the support.

Also the wood handle has been treated with some old beeswax furniture polish,so smells great as a bonus.

And the pins are welding rods.
          Last edited by LC76; 28-03-2018, 09:14.

Comment

Well done, and impressive first knife. I impressed with your set up too, nice idea on the forge concept. Looks like you spent some time on the polish.
            If it looks straight - it is straight

Comment

Bloody awesome knife, and it's your first?, I'm so glad I never took pics of my first......50 or so.

Tig rod(stainless) and brazing wire work great for pinstock, car aerials and old radios are a handy source for brass tubing in varying diameters, especially if you don't like your neighbours.

And on the off chance you haven't seen it? https://www.artisansupplies.com.au/

Welcome to Knifemaking, and welcome to ABF

Comment

Nice. Good, practical knife.
                Australian Knifemakers Guild.
                www.wheatonartsandcrafts.com

Comment

I have almost finished my second knife.

This is from the same length of leaf spring,but this time I filed the thickness down to half (6 hours of filing and getting as evenly flat as possible)and did the same heat treat for 5160 3 times past magnetic then quench in warm oil.
                  I tried to use black plastic for a liner material but the epoxy wouldnt stick to it.
                  So experimented with some black leather I had left over from past hobbies,and it seems to work so far.

https://imgur.com/a/Qymd5

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions on Pin stock Tarrabah and the car aerial,I would never have thought of that
                    Was hoping to have this one mostly done tonight but the epoxy is taking longer than usual to cure.
                    It was a bit cool last night in the shed,I probably should have brought it inside overnight.

So while i was board I made a start on number 3
                    I plan on stacking leather for the handle with this one.
                    I have a tonne of useless offcuts that might not be as useless as i thought.
                    Last edited by LC76; 28-03-2018, 18:44.

Comment

Bloody nice work for your first couple.

Comment

Originally posted by LC76 View Post
                        Thanks for the suggestions on Pin stock Tarrabah and the car aerial,I would never have thought of that
                        Was hoping to have this one mostly done tonight but the epoxy is taking longer than usual to cure.
                        It was a bit cool last night in the shed,I probably should have brought it inside overnight.

So while i was board I made a start on number 3
                        I plan on stacking leather for the handle with this one.
                        I have a tonne of useless offcuts that might not be as useless as i thought.
                        Old files can make fantastic blades, IF they survive the quench, if you haven't already?, have a read through this, there is steel selections at the bottom, you'll want to be treating the file as per 1095 or W2, the big difference over the 5160, is the time to get the blade from non-magnetic into the quench, as fast as possible, 1 second would be good heat treatment of sword, knife, dagger blades

Comment

Great stuff and very quick improvements.
                          I would suggest staying away from leather, or any material that can absorb moisture, as liner material. If moisture gets in and swells the liner it could move your handle scales apart. Not to mention rust.
                          But your work I going great guns!
                          Adam Grosskopf.
                          Handmade Knives and Razors.
                          On the road to improvement, one blade at a time.
                          Function, Form, Fit, Finish.

Comment

Nice first knives !

Comment

Amazing first few knives mate! Looking forward to what comes next.

Comment

Working...
                              X